Excellence in Education Awards | Fox Cities Chamber
First Annual EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION SHINING STAR AWARDS
The Excellence in Education Shining Star Awards program is the new culminating K-16 event to recognize the outstanding achievements of educators in the Fox Cities region. A skilled workforce of tomorrow relies on high quality education today, and this event will acknowledge and celebrate the unparalleled contributions of educators working and shining in Fox Cities schools, colleges, universities and other educational settings.
The Fox Cities Chamber is committed to supporting and facilitating education and business partnerships that promote student success, workforce and economic development, and a high quality of life for all residents learning, growing, working and living in the Fox Cities region. We recognize that educators are the preparers of the next generation of leaders and doers, and business/education partnerships are the model for success!
MARCH 5, 2020 | 5:00-8:30 PM
Red Lion Hotel, Downtown Appleton
5:00 PM - Happy Hour / Music by Kevin Fayte
6:00 PM - Opening Remarks / Dinner
6:30 PM - Presentation of Awards
8:15 PM - $25,000 Raffle Drawing*
8:20 PM - Announce Educator of the Year
8:30 PM - Closing Remarks
*50/50 Raffle up to $25,000 cash prize. Only 1,000 tickets sold. Learn more
- $50.00 - General Admission
- $40.00 - Educators and Fox Cities Chamber Members
PRESENTING SPONSOR: BERGSTROM
The Boldt Company
Employment Resource Group, Inc.
Fox Valley Technical College
There are high visibility sponsorship opportunities available for this event. Please contact Amy Andersen, Director of Talent and K-16 Relations at email@example.com or 920-939-6403.
The Excellence in Education Shining Star Awards program recognizes the outstanding contributions of full-time K-16 educators in the Fox Cities region (Outagamie, Calumet and northern Winnebago counties). There is one award winner in the following categories:
Excellence in Early Childhood Education -
Jenny Hollis, Fox Valley Technical College
Award Sponsor: Kimberly-Clark
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to children and families in the first five years of development and learning ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Excellence in Student Services -
Brian Borchardt, Neenah High School
Award Sponsor: Microsoft
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to supporting students in and outside the classroom to enhance the educational experiences and outcomes for students in K-16 education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Excellence in K-12 Education -
Mike Slowinski, Menasha High School
Award Sponsor: U.S. Venture
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to children and families enrolled in K-12 public or private education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Excellence in Higher Education -
Kate Manthey, UW-Oshkosh
Award Sponsor: The Boldt Company
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to student success and/or the advancement of knowledge in higher education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Inclusive Excellence in Education -
Jason Fridley, Horace Mann Middle School (Neenah Joint School District)
Award Sponsor: Menasha Corporation
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to a comprehensive practice of valuing, engaging, advocating for and celebrating the rich diversity of students enrolled in K-16 education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Excellence in Career and Technical Education -
Cyndi Pavelski, Appleton North High School
Award Sponsor: Ariens Company
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to student success in career and technical education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Excellence in Special Education -
Monica Allaback, Valley Packaging Industries
Award Sponsor: Goodwill NCW
This award honors a Fox Cities educator who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to serving and advocating for students with special needs in K-16 education ($500 unrestricted cash award and star award).
Educator of the Year -
Paul Larson, Freedom High School
Finalists: Monica Jones (Xavier High School) and Teri Fechter (Richmond Elementary)
Award Sponsor: Employment Resource Group
This award honors an educator who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to improving the quality of education in the Fox Cities region, and who has an inspiring presence that motivates and influences students, colleagues and the community ($1,000 unrestricted cash award and star award).
The Excellence in Education Shining Star Awards program recognizes the outstanding contributions of full-time K-16 educators in the Fox Cities region (Outagamie, Calumet and northern Winnebago counties).
Nominations are due by 5:00 PM on January 15, 2020. No late submissions will be accepted. You may only nominate an educator for one of the above categories, one time, but you may nominate more than one educator.
Who is eligible to win an award?
- Full-time educators in Early Childhood or K-16 education in Outagamie, Calumet, or northern Winnebago counties.
- Works directly with students 50% of the time.
- Is in good standing within their profession and school.
- Meets the description of the award category.
Who can nominate?
Teachers, administrators, community members, parents and students can all nominate an outstanding educator for an award.
- Read the award categories and Idea Generator.
- Choose the award category that fits your nominee.
- Complete the entry form - answer all the nomination questions.
- Submit and keep quiet!
- Be part of a video if your nominee wins.
What happens next?
- Nominations close January 15, 2020
- The selection committee, made up of educators and employers, will score the nomination forms and choose one winner in each category. Winners in the first seven categories and three nominees for Educator of the Year (EOY) will be announced in early February. You will get a call if your nominee was selected in one of the categories or is in the running for EOY.
- We will set up a time to surprise the seven award winners at their school and take photos.
- We will set up a time for you to come into the studio to shoot a short video about your nominee for the awards dinner.
We will recognize and celebrate the award winners on March 5, 2020 and announce the Educator of the Year award winner at the event.
Nominations Idea Generator
Need help thinking about excellence in education? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Classroom management
- Commitment to subject matter
- Student health and wellness
- Curriculum development
- Positive and safe learning environments
- Academic and career planning
- Literacy programming
- Work-based learning
- Student advocacy
- Student engagement
- Advancing creative and performing arts
- STEM education
- Pioneering research
- Community or family engagement
- Student development
- Teaching methods
- Student leadership programming
- Mentoring colleagues
- Assessing skills and learning
- After school programs
- Ticket price $50 each - only 1,000 sold!
- Tickets sold from December 1, 2019 until March 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM
Tickets can be purchased at the Fox Cities Chamber in person (cash or credit) or over the phone with credit card payment.
You must be 18 years or older to purchase a raffle ticket.
Fox Cities Chamber
125 N. Superior St., Appleton
- 1st prize – 50/50 raffle up to $25,000 cash
- 2rd prize – $1,000 cash
- 3rd prize– $500 cash
Excellence in Education Shining Star Awards Program
March 5, 2020 | 8:15 PM
The Red Lion Hotel
333 West College Ave., Appleton, WI 54911
Need not be present to win. License # R0030063A-33074