The volunteer spirit and service of Fox Valley volunteers was recognized during National Volunteer Week April 19. The recipients of the 24th annual Celebrating Volunteers awards were announced. The Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region and NBC26 sponsor the recognition activities, which were adjusted this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Seven sponsoring organizations and businesses sponsor six awards in categories of volunteering that help to make the Fox Cities a great place to live. This year’s award recipients:
- Melanie & Mike Mailand - Janet Berry Volunteer of the Year Award, sponsored by Amcor
- Jean Blaney McGinnis - Paul and Elaine Groth Mentoring Award sponsored by Mielke Family Foundation
- Vicki Vogel - Health Care Award sponsored by Ascension and ThedaCare
- Jean Long Manteufel - Walter L. Rugland Community Service Award, sponsored by Volunteer Fox Cities in partnership with Thrivent
- Rebuilding Together Fox Valley & Fox Communities Credit Union - Business Partnership Award sponsored by SECURA
- Kailey Krzoska - Youth Scholarship Award - Community First Credit Union
Award sponsors provide $5,000 for recipients to direct to a local charity. The youth award recipient receives $1,000 for charity and a $1,500 scholarship. Learn more about each honoree and the nonprofit recipients they selected at celebratevolunteers.org. Since the event started in 1998, award sponsors have given $748,000 to local charities selected by their award recipients.
The event honors the volunteer spirit of Paul and Elaine Groth of Appleton, who died in an automobile accident in 1997. Media sponsors include WHBY radio, The Post-Crescent and Insight on Business.