In celebration of the 100th anniversary of American women’s right to vote, a group of Fox Valley women from women-run associations, organizations and clubs has formed the Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Coalition.
The group is aligned in the desire to celebrate, educate and advocate women’s rights and represents:
- League of Women Voters of Appleton
- Northeast Wisconsin Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Women’s Fund for the Fox Valley Region
- American Association of University Women–Appleton
- Mid-Day Women’s Alliance
The Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Coalition is sponsoring a year-long series of nonpartisan events throughout 2020 featuring speakers addressing various women-focused topics, including the Equal Rights Amendment, African American Suffragists, the future of women’s rights and more.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Kick-Off Brunch will take place on Saturday, December 14 at 10:00 a.m. at the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center. The event will feature Dr. Sally Roesch Wagner, lecturer, author and storyteller of woman’s rights history, who will discuss The Influence of Indigenous Women on Early Suffragists. For more details and to register for this event, visithervoicehervoteourvictory.com/events.
Along with planned Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Celebration events, the Coalition has developed the following outreach opportunities for community groups and organizations, area schools and local businesses:
- A Speaker’s Bureau is available to speak to local groups of any size or age about the history of the women’s suffrage movement. Voting information will also be provided, if appropriate.
- A Traveling Exhibit, developed by the Wisconsin Historical Society, is available for limited display at locations throughout the Fox Valley, which tells the story of women’s suffrage and the history of suffrage in Wisconsin.
- Educational Toolkits with age-appropriate materials about the women’s suffrage movement and the importance of the right to vote for both the elementary and secondary students can be downloaded at hervoicehervoteourvictory.com/outreach/resources/.
For more information on these outreach opportunities, along with a complete calendar of events scheduled throughout the 2020, visithervoicehervoteourvictory.com or facebook.com/hervoicehervoteourvictory.
In addition to the Coalition partner groups, the Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Celebration is sponsored by The Bright Idea Fund, Chuck and Barb Merry Fund and Silton Family–Fox Valley Community Fund, all within the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region, and Dave and Shirley Strange. In-kind support has been provided by the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center; the History Museum at the Castle; Andee Vosters, Vision Navigator; and Coalesce Marketing & Design.
About the Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Coalition
The Fox Valley 19th Amendment Centennial Coalition was founded in 2019 and is a collaborative effort of women from women-run associations, organizations and clubs. The group represents the League of Women Voters of Appleton, Northeast Wisconsin Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Women’s Fund for the Fox Valley Region, American Association of University Women–Appleton and Mid-Day Women’s Alliance. Visit hervoicehervoteourvictory.com orfacebook.com/hervoicehervoteourvictory for more information.